You’ve been in an accident; you are upset and cannot think clearly; and you are at a loss as to what to do or what information you might need for future use.
A print-out list of what you should do would be handy to help you through those first stressful minutes after your accident. Well here’s a list for you!
1. Try to remain claim and thoughtful
2. If you are injured, stay in your car – unless it’s dangerous to do so.
3. Wait for the police and medical help.
4. Inform the police about the accident for the official report.
5. Record all witnesses’ names, addresses and phone numbers.
6. Confirm whether you were wearing a seat belt, which is the law in most jurisdictions.
7. If you are injured, insist on being transported to a hospital in an ambulance.
8. In all instances, obtain medical treatment immediately. Tell medical personnel about everything that you feel may be physically wrong.
9. Refrain from taking legal referrals at hospitals.
10. Do not talk to insurance reps until you contact a lawyer.
Protect yourself and your family. Print out this list and keep it in your glove compartment. Let’s hope you never need to use it. But if you do, you will be prepared and your stress level should be less.